Our History Greenspring Montessori School has been serving the students of the greater Baltimore region for over fifty years. Please enjoy a brief outline of our history. Early 1900s The original Emerson Barns were believed to be constructed in the early 1900s as part of the Isaac Emerson’s Dairy Farm. Before becoming a school, the barns were used as part of a functioning dairy farm, ice cream parlor, and a theatre. 1906 Dr. Maria Montessori opened her first functioning classroom, Casa dei Bambini, in the San Lorenzo District in Rome for children ages three to six. 1909 to 1912 As her program grew, Dr. Montessori observed that the children exhibited intense concentration and self-discipline. She began a teacher training program in 1909 and by the end of 1911, Montessori education had been officially adopted in public schools in Italy and Switzerland, and was planned for the United Kingdom. By 1912, Montessori schools had opened in Paris and many other Western European cities, and were planned for Argentina, Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Switzerland, Syria, the United States, and New Zealand. 1929 In 1929, Dr. Montessori and her son founded the Association Montessori Internationale or AMI in order to create clear standards around Montessori education and teacher training around the world. 1960 The American Montessori Society or AMS was founded in 1960 to promote the Montessori teaching approach in public and private schools in the United States. 1962 to 1965 In 1962, The Montessori School was founded by The Suburban Child Study Group of Baltimore—an informal organization of approximately seven couples in search of preschool programs. With approximately 30 students, two new teachers and borrowed equipment from other Montessori schools, a single Children’s House classroom opens at Har Sinai Congregation on Park Heights Avenue in Baltimore. The Suburban Child Study Group became incorporated as The Montessori Society of Central Maryland, Inc. in 1965 and purchased a small building at Liberty Heights Avenue. 1973 A satellite campus, called Towson Children’s House, opens in Towson and is added to accommodate The Montessori School’s growing number of toddlers. 1974 The Society established its first Junior Class (what we now call Elementary) for children ages six to nine. 1977 to 1979 The Montessori Society of Central Maryland purchases the Emerson Farm Dairy buildings and seven acres of property with plans to renovate and build an educational facility. In the fall, The Montessori School at Emerson Farm opens to approximately 140 students with two classrooms for children ages six to 12, and four classrooms for children ages two to six. The six classrooms are located on the first floor of the Main Building. 1980 to 1982 The Friedberg Building, made possible by a generous donation from the Julius C. Friedberg, Jr. family, was renovated in 1980 to house two classrooms. In 1982, the Little Barn renovations were completed, adding two more classrooms and a Music Room to the campus. 1984 to 1989 The center silo next to the Main Building was renovated in 1984 to serve as part of the school’s first Library. The following year in 1985, renovation of the Multipurpose Building provided the school with several essential additions, including a stage, computer room, art room, and one additional classroom. Through a three-year capital campaign running from 1986-89, two new classrooms open, along with improved science and computer classrooms and a greenhouse. A modular building is also purchased to house the Facilities Department. 1993 The Maryland Center for Montessori Studies (MCMS) began offering a Primary (Early Childhood) Montessori teacher training program at Emerson Farm. 1997 In August of 1997, the last two grain silos are renovated. One is converted into additional library space, designated as the Story Gallery. The third and last silo was renovated into a uniquely shaped meeting room that also served as an art gallery to showcase the work of local artists as well as our own students’ work. Currently, this silo is being used as a Middle School library, as well as resources for parents and school faculty and staff. 2005 Emerson Farm Middle School, now known as the Adolescent Community, began with its Montessori two-year program for 7th and 8th grades. 2007 The Student Activity Center opened in the fall, providing a spacious Middle School classroom, now the Upper Elementary classroom; a foreign language classroom, now the Art Room; state-of-the-art gymnasium, and administrative offices. 2013 The Montessori School & Emerson Farm Middle School changed its name to Greenspring Montessori School to bring unity to its programs and celebrate a time of reinvigorated leadership. Continuous improvements in technology, community education, and campus grounds indicate growth, stability, and dedication among the Greenspring family. The School also began the Spanish Dual Language Program. 2014 Greenspring Montessori School started a Capital Campaign for an ambitious building project to renovate and restore nearly 30,000 square feet of our beloved but aging buildings on campus. 2017 to 2018 The school completed Phase I of the Capital Project, renovating the Multipurpose Building to become the Toddler and Children’s House Village East, as well as Phase II, the restoration of the Main Building. In addition, Greenspring Montessori School began an exciting endeavor with its first-ever ninth grade class joining the Adolescent Community.